Well the freezing cold month of January is finally over and with it's end comes my Favourite Five and a Fail - five products I've been loving and one which failed me.
What have some of your favourite products been this month?
1) Origins Drink Up 10 Minute Mask - A product I picked up this month from Sephora to help my skin survive this horrible winter we are having in Toronto. A creamy mask that you apply to dry skin and leave on for 10 minutes then wipe or rinse off. Helps hydrate and moisturize the skin without leaving it greasy or oily. I love using this after using a clay mask and it smells like Fuzzy Peaches (big time bonus!) Doesn't break me out and makes my skin feel comfortable and ready to face the windchill.
2) Lip Combo of the Month - Yes there are 3 products here but all together they make a great nude-pink lip colour that I can't find in a single tube. I first apply the ELF Matte Lip Color in Natural (which is too dark for my skintone) then dab on a little bit of L'Oreal Pink Flamingo to warm up and add some pink to the lip. Finish off with a shimmery light pink lip gloss to blend it all together. Now all I have to do is find one single lipstick that gives me the same colour! Don't mind my awkward smile - it was snowing and cold out when I took this picture - but how nice is the lip colour!!!
3) Pantene Expert Split End Fuser - I received this in a previous beauty subscription and was very intrigued. Basically a cream like formula that acts like a hair oil to smooth the hair cuticle and mask the look of split ends. I automatically thought that this product would be great for travel instead of an oil - less likely to spill everywhere. You can use this on damp hair (2 pumps) or dry hair (1 pump), focusing it mainly on the ends. My hair looks hydrated, shiny and healthy when I use this.
4) Real Techniques Buffing Brush - This has been a favourite for such a long time and when I couldn't think of a 5th product for this month so why not add this! The perfect brush for applying liquid foundation for me - makes my skin look airbrushed and flawless. Perfect density of soft bristles making this brush flexible enough to get into the area around your nose and eyes but not so flimsy that it doesn't perform properly. Definitely need to try out even more of the RT brushes.
5) Revlon Photoready Concealer in Light - A product that has been sitting in my drawer for a long time. I used to think that it dried out my skin but that may have been because of my application or the foundation I was wearing underneath. Now I use my Sigma P84 (Precision Angle) brush to apply this lightly over any blemishes/redness. Stays pretty much all day and is wonderfully pigmented. A great rediscovery.
Fail: Nars Sheer Glow Foundation
Yes, this may seem shocking buy my fail of this month is the Nars Sheer Glow foundation. I was so excited to try out my first high end foundation and had read numerous great reviews for this foundation for dry skin. I got colour matched (Light 2 Mont Blanc) and brought it home to start falling in love. Then I applied it on my skin - yes it had good coverage (medium or so) but part way through the day I noticed my skin looking very dry. It was the foundation! It highlighted all of my dry spots and settled into my fine lines. I tried using it with different moisturizers underneath, primers etc then something worse happened. MY SKIN BROKE OUT! I thought maybe it was due to something else but when I applied this the next day my skin got worse. I still have acne scars a couple weeks after. Please, please, please get a sample of this before buying. The foundation is so expensive ($55) that I don't want you to waste your money on something that you don't love/doesn't work for you.
til next time...